He brought down the
house at his inauguration when he shook his fist to the media box saying,
"You're on notice! I've inherited a financially troubled State to run.
Observe and cover what we do, but don't whine if I don't waste time responding
to your every whim just for your amusement.”
During his campaign for
Governor, he talked with commercial fishermen, struggling with federal
fisheries rules. They complained that 0bama brought his family to Bar Harbor
and Acadia National Park for a long Labor Day holiday and found time to meet
with union leaders, but wouldn't talk to the fishermen. LePage replied,
"I'd tell him to go to Hell and get out of my State." The
major media crucified LePage, but he jumped six points in a pre-election
poll.
The Martin Luther King
incident was a political sandbag, which brought him national exposure. The main
stream media raked him, but the word on the street was very positive.
The NAACP asked LePage
to spend MLK Day visiting black inmates at Maine State Prison. He told them
that he would meet with all inmates, regardless of race, if he were to visit
the prison. The NAACP balked and then put out a news release claiming falsely
that he refused to participate in any MLK events. He read it in the paper the
next morning while he was driven to an event and could only note none of the
reporters had called him for comment before running the NAACP release-based
piece.
He arrived at that event
and said to a TV camera, "If they want to play the race card on me they
can kiss my ass," and reminded all he has an adopted black son from
Jamaica and he attended the local MLK Breakfast every year he was mayor of
Waterville.
He noted there are right
and wrong ways to meet with the Governor, and put all special interests on
notice that press releases, media leaks, and demonstrations would be the wrong
way. He said any other group, which acted like the NAACP could expect to be at
the bottom of the Governor's priority list.
The State employees
union complained because he waited until 3 P.M. before closing State offices
and facilities and sent non-emergency personnel home during the last blizzard.
The former Governor would close offices for the day on a forecast before any
snow. When the State closes for snow, it costs about $1 million in wages for no
work.
Governor LePage was CEO
of Marden's (a family bargain discount retail store chain) before the election.
He noted State employees getting off work early could still find lots of retail
stores open to shop. So, he put the State employees on notice by announcing:
"If Marden's is open, Maine is open!”
He told State employees:
"We live in Maine in the winter, for heaven's sake, and should know how to
drive in it. Otherwise, apply for a State job in Florida!”
Governor LePage's attitudes
on laws is refreshing.
"The law is the
law," said Governor LePage, "So if the US government determines it is
against the law for the words ‘Under God’ to be on our money, then, so be it.
And, if the same government decides the ‘Ten Commandments’ are not to be used
in or on a government installation, then, so be it.”
I say, "so be it,
because I would like to be a law abiding US citizen.”
I say, "so be it,
because I would like to think smarter people than I are in positions to make
good decisions.”
“I would like to think
that those people have the American public's best interests at heart.”
"But, you know what
else I'd like?" asked he. "Since we can't pray to God, can't trust in
God and cannot post Gods Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe
Government (Federal, State and Local) and its employees should participate in ‘Easter’
and ‘Christmas’ celebrations which honor the God that our government is
eliminating from many facets of American life.”
”I'd like my mail
delivered on ‘Christmas,’ ‘Good Friday,’ ‘Thanksgiving,’ and ‘Easter.’ After
all, it's just another day. I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in
session on ‘Christmas,’ Good Friday,’ ‘Thanksgiving,’ and ‘Easter,’ as well as
Sundays. After all, it's just another day.”
“I'd like the Senate and
the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the ‘Christmas
Break.’ After all it's just another day.”
“I'm thinking a lot of
my taxpayer Dollars could be saved, if all government offices and services
would work on ‘Christmas,’ ‘Good Friday,’ and ‘Easter.’ It shouldn't cost any
overtime since those days are just like any other day of the week to a government
that is trying to be ‘politically correct.’”
“In
fact....I think our government should work on Sundays. After all it was set
aside for worshipping God and our government says it should be just another
day."
Contributed by John Dusak, Edited by Adrian Vance (“The Two Minute Conservative")
TJOC: Taken from "The Two Minute Conservative" and edited by me.
Contributed by John Dusak, Edited by Adrian Vance (“The Two Minute Conservative")
TJOC: Taken from "The Two Minute Conservative" and edited by me.
No comments:
Post a Comment